Monday, November 8, 2010

HSV Maloor8


The testers: Joshua Dowling and Jaedene Hudson.

The car: HSV Maloo R8.

The price: $65,740 plus on-road costs.

Vital statistics: 6.0-litre V8 (307kW, 550Nm), six-speed auto.

He: This is the successor to the world's fastest ute. It also happens to be the most powerful ute made in Australia. The price starts from $59,990 but the auto adds $2000 and the 20-inch wheels and leather seats add $3750. So if you owned such an expensive ute, would you put tools in the back?

She: Never. I'd be worried I'd scratch the paint.

He: According to HSV, these utes aren't necessarily used by tradies. Rather, they're used by people who do a lot of stuff on weekends, hence the advertising slogan, "Get out there". It makes a bit of a style statement. What do you think?

She: At last it looks different from the Holden SS ute.

He: HSV was able to design its own look because its tailgate is made from high-strength plastic. The tail-lamp extensions in the HSV tailgate section look good but aren't functional. Do you reckon that's an issue?

She: They look good but they should do something. I think it goes to the heart of HSV's credibility. It shouldn't just be change for the sake of it. It would nice to see some extra lamps in there.

He: What did you think about the interior?

She: I don't like the meaty steering wheel. It's too big for my hands. But it's really good there is extra storage behind the seats. It was the one thing Ford Falcon utes had over the Holdens.

He: I like the steering wheel and love the sports seats (and the seating position), especially the fact you can flip the passenger's seat forward from the driver's side. The lever is within easy reach. I just wish the driver's seat had twin levers, too, so you could flip it forward from the passenger's side.

She: I was surprised at how firm it rides for a ute but then I guess that's what gives it the handling edge. The power bulges in the hard lid limit rear vision but at least rear-parking sensors are standard.

He: I thought the ride was hard at first but then I got used to it. It's firm but not uncomfortable. I loved the performance brakes. Other HSVs we've tested haven't felt quite as good. This one must have been run in better.

She: And the stability control system works well. It's especially handy in a ute - on wet or dry roads - because it's so light over the rear.

He: So would you buy one?

She: I love it but I'd probably save $20,000 and get an SS ute and slowly adds things to it.

He: I can see where you're coming from but by the time I put all my gear on an SS ute I may as well have bought an HSV Maloo. So I guess you won't be wanting this for the weekend then?

She: Hang on, I never said that!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hostgator Discount Code