Friday, October 29, 2010

Mondo Guerra


Mondo Guerra was sitting in his kitchen in Denver. Gretchen Jones was packing up her final boxes in Portland before heading to New York. And Andy South was in Hawaii, far, far away from the insanity that has been Season 8 of Project Runway.

With the finale looming Thursday night, the three finalists talked about what it’s like to watch themselves on television and why Heidi was the harshest judge. The three haven’t figured out what exactly is ahead on their catwalk but they’re all ready to move from reality TV into reality.

The Wall Street Journal: What is it like watching the show on TV? Do you feel that it was a fair depiction?

Mondo: I feel like the editing was fair and the how the show revealed itself was very true to how everyone was. I have no disappointment in being part of it.

Gretchen: I followed PR for all the seasons and what I feel that’s special about our season is that we’re very vulnerable and raw. We don’t have our guards up. That’s what made the season as dynamic as it was.

Mondo, you came out as HIV-positive during the show. You hadn’t told your family yet. Did you tell them?

Mondo: I didn’t tell my family until four days before that episode aired. I was waiting because I wanted to get through fashion week. It could be called selfish, but I really wanted to focus on what I had to get done.

What happened?

Mondo: I really underestimated the power of unconditional love. They have supported me 100 percent. Now I just have to feel comfortable around them. I’m not hiding anymore.

What was your favorite challenge?

Andy: For me, I’m torn between the party store challenge and the Heidi Klum challenge, where we had to design for her sportswear collection. But I think it was the Heidi one because we were all in the same boat at first, we weren’t that inspired. We all had to push ourselves to adopt to the challenge and think creatively. We all went through highs and lows in that one challenge.

Who was the toughest judge?

All three: Heidi.

Why?

Andy: They all have their moments. I would say for me it’s between Michael and Heidi. But Heidi, her critiques are more opinion. That’s why I loved having designers as guest judges. They understand where you’re coming from as a designer and they give you constructive criticism. Sometimes with Heidi, it’s not really a critique. It can get kind of punchy.

Mondo: One time Michael Kors said my look was a cross between Betty Rubble and Snooki. Which was pretty funny, I mean, that IS kind of my aesthetic. I never got offended by it. I took it as a compliment.

What was the hardest challenge?

Andy: The Jackie Kennedy one. That’s where Heidi was the most opinionated and rude. That’s the time when I lost respect for the judges because all they did was laugh and make fun of me, it became like throwing tomatoes. And that was the case for all of us on the runway, we all got reamed.

Mondo: That was probably the most complicated one to understand. You’re taking something that is so timeless and classic and trying to make it modern.

Gretchen: Sometimes what Heidi told us at the beginning to what Tim told us in workroom critiques didn’t match up. It make it hard for us. And then we were judged against that in a way.

OK. What happened with Michael Costello. As a viewer, it was kind of hard to watch everyone gang up on him. Was he that bad of a guy?

Mondo: I think with Michael Costello, he had a totally different process. We all came with rollers and certain tools that we all have. He came with nothing. So we didn’t understand how he was able to accomplish so much in such a little amount of time and then be the winner. It made people really uneasy. He was an easy target.

Gretchen: First and foremost, it’s a television show and there have to be compelling characters. He wasn’t that bad of a guy. You can see that the experience gave him a huge support system and more exposure. Michael and I didn’t love each other’s aesthetics. But he’s a lovely person. You’re in that position for six weeks. It takes a little bit of time to get to know someone.

Gretchen, you often came across as mean. Tim accused you of being a bully. Did watching the show make you think about how you come across to people?

Gretchen: It didn’t make me think about how I come across to people. There’s an hour an a half to present a compelling character. I know I walked away with a lot of friendships. If I was mean, I think my rapport in the workroom would have been much different. I would not have had the enriching relationships that I do. I know I can call Andy or Mondo or Michael C on the phone and talk to them. I have a strong opinion about design and what I think is good. I know who I am and that it was a big risk going on the show.

People were pretty angry with you.

Gretchen: I’m OK with it. It hurt my feelings at first. But fashion is objective. And I thought - I’m only beginning. If this is going to break me than I’m never going to make it.

What would you tell people who are thinking about trying out for the show?

Andy: Girl! You’d better think before you sign!

Gretchen: Don’t do it! But really, you have to have a strong sense of conviction and be aware of your point of view. You have to be much more emotionally prepared than I was. It’s a big risk. You’re not in control. You’re putting it out there for a platform of millions of viewers. When I watched before I thought “Oh, I can do that.” It’s really not that easy. You really have to believe in yourself and work your ass off.

Andy: And be willing to be humiliated as well. You get both ends of the spectrum.

Mondo: Being on the show is a hard thing. But the public eye is so much harder. They are just so critical. If you have insecurities, it can really affect people.

So let’s talk about the hideous clothes that Heidi wore this season. What’s up with that?

All three: I’m not touching that! No comment! Gretchen, don’t say anything!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hostgator Discount Code